Thursday, June 4, 2009

Poetry

Josepha

I composed a melody on my organ in Florida, with the original words below and dedicated to a very wonderful Lady, Jody, I met by chance during my early widower years.

Changed the title to Communion Meditation Song and words to a religious theme that was played and sung by the choir of St Benedict upon First Holy Communion May 4th 2002

1

Oh my love, oh my love, come to me.

Oh my love, oh my love, come to me'

When you're in my arms,

Then my life is so sublime,

And when we kiss,

Bells begin to chime,

Oh my love, oh my love, come to me.

2

Oh my love, oh my love, please be mine.

Oh my love, oh my love, please be mine.

If you say you are,

Then my life will be worthwhile

And all can tell,

'cause they'll see it in my smile,

Oh my love, oh my love, please be mine.

3

Oh my love, oh my love, I am yours,

Oh my love, oh my love, I am yours.

As we dance along,

Through sweet mystery of fate,

Singing our song,

Thanking God it's not too late.

Oh my love, oh my love, come to me.

Same song Religious version I composed sung by choir in Church and listed in their First Holy Communion Program as: First Holy Communion Song (words & melody) by Mr. Al Verhoeven.

1

Oh my Lord, Jesus Christ, come to me.

Oh my Lord, Jesus Christ, come to me.

We await your word,

For your truth will make us free.

Christ, Lamb of God,

Lives in you and me.

Oh my lord, Jesus Christ, come to me.

2

With all love, we receive Jesus Christ.

With all love, we receive Jesus Christ.

When you feed our souls,

Then our peace is so sublime,

And in our hearts,

Bells begin to chime.

With all love, we receive Jesus Christ.

3

Paraclete, formed from love, guide my soul.

Paraclete, formed from love, guide my soul.

As we move through life,

With its joys and tears and strife,

One God in three,

Blessed Trinity!

Paraclete, formed from love, guide my soul.





Where did you go?

Composed while driving, wrote down in Diner on paper napkin

1

I waited alone by the phone last night,

And dreamed so it seemed that you held me tight

Where did you go, I want to know,

Perhaps we'll meet again?


2

That night we shared together,

My dreams are made from this,

Through good or stormy weather,

I only live for your kiss

3

We walked and we talked by the moonlit sea,

Your gentle caress meaning yes to me,

Where did you go I want to know?

Perhaps we'll meet again?

Perhaps we'll meet again.


Little Bird

Word and polka music tune composed while sleeping and written down when awake.


1

There's a little bird on my shoulder,

My shoulder, my shoulder,

There's a little bird on my shoulder,

And the little bird is you.


2

Every time that you hold me closer,

Me closer, me closer,

Every time that you hold me closer,

I love you more I do!


3

Kiss me once or twice,

While we're dancing, we're dancing,

Hold me oh so tight,

While your lips are pressed to mine.


4

There's a little bird on my shoulder,

My shoulder, my shoulder,

There's a little bird on my shoulder,

And the little bird is you!


Crying

Composed after Margot Verhoeven Strampfer passed to her eternal reward.

1

Crying!

All alone and blue I find myself crying,

Knowing that you're gone,

I can't stop crying,

I'm crying over you.

2

Sighing!

Wishing you were here to stop my sighing,

Knowing that you're gone

I feel like dying,

I'm so alone and blue.

3

And then an angel came,

Taking you from my sight,

It's so unfair,

This just can't be right?

4

Crying, all alone and blue I find myself crying,

Knowing that you're gone I can't stop crying

Just all alone and blue and crying over you.

So all alone and Blue.


My Beloved Friends

Composed for Funeral Card of Margot.

My Beloved Friends

1

. I can not remember before I was,

Surely angels were gathered above,

Now we move together; bonding forever,

In an unbroken circle of love.

2

My mortal friends, I loved so dearly,

Weep not because I'm gone,

The pain I felt inflicted upon me,

Our God has touched and it's done.



A good friend of mine died of a stomach cancer in '97. It was difficult watching this too young to die man waste away in pain surviving on morphine. When death came I was asked to say the Eulogy in the Lutheran Church in Spring Hill, Fl. The evening before the Funeral I thought about my long time friend, his struggle and so many peoples struggle with a dreadful disease. The words "Sail On" came to me and a new poem was born

SAIL ON!

Heavy cloud laden skies--- my world is dark,

Yet, what is that so far away? Is that a glimmer of light I see?

Yes! Yes it is! The sun shines through and all my heart is set

anew.

Alas, it is but a sunlit ray. I fail even to see the clouds that

parted,

Oh, dreary, lonely day.

2

The pallid moonlight reflects the night of a past refrain,

Dream on fantasies of the mind; ecstasies of the heart.

I move about numbed; unable to feel its pain,

Only in dreams can that which belongs never be set apart,

Cast then your reality from my sight, Oh! dreary lonely night.

3

Look! Look! We have entered the rapids; our course is hard to

keep,

There are rocks down yonder; do not flounder, hold onto the

coxswain's sweep.

The current of life is swift; but, short.

Soon that which we want is past,

Our tears may be lost in the deep still waters,

If the rapids prove too fast. Take heart! This dare not last,

Hold onto the coxswain's sweep.





Many years ago.... On my search for God and truth I composed a few

poems while out sketching in the hills of North Jersey. I went back to the same area that winter and painted Wanaque Winter.After finishing reading all poems Click Poetry title above and Lo!
Through the magic of cyberspace the Painting will appear.

Continuation
of

POEMS

by
Alfred P. Verhoeven


composed while sketching in the woods of Haskell, New Jersey


Wanaque Autumn Woods

1

Have you ever walked through a woods,
when Summer 'twas o'er and done,
and the colors 'round are blazing,
Reflecting the morn' sun?

2

The breeze is firmly caressing,
with air so crisp and clear,
A rustling sound as sighing,
each falling leaf a tear.

3

Sleep gently, sleep now,
but first in crescendo ablaze!
Glory! Color! Beauty!
Capturing my soul in its maze.

4

Have you ever walked through a woods
when Summer 'twas o'er and done,
and the colors 'round are blazing,
Reflecting the morn' sun?

5

Oh words, oh words you fail me,
to describe this vivid scene,
God's artistry in Nature,
so majestically serene.

6

Or, if I could but paint,
these wonders that I sense,
my spirit 'twould be freed,
my soul no longer dense.

7

Alas!
I look and behold.
a falling leaf falls,
Yea: verily to return,
the tree grows bare.

8

The time is past,
soon sleep shall call;
its blanket of snow,
is waiting there.

9

And so I think:
Soon all will glisten clean,
as beneath life doth slumber,
'cepting the evergreen,
myself and the evergreen.

10

Have you ever walked through a woods,
when Summer 'twas o'er and done,
and the colors 'round are blazing,
Reflecting the morn' sun?


Also composed in the very same woods of NJ.

The Seeker


1


Where are you my God,
whom I so passionately seek,
in the valleys so low,
or upon the mountains peak?


2


Will my eyes being mortal,
ne'er chance to see,
a vision so perfect,
as surely you must be.


3


How oft' in my winter,
when its oh so cold and Grey,
my eyes do I lift to you, my God,
while hands do fold and pray.


4


Seeking ever seeking,
wondering where to go,
searching ever searching,
God of Love I want to know.



Composed after returning from an appointment in the Bronx, NYC.


Ode to a Pusher

1

Look upon them, my people of sin

Oh! Woe! How can it be?

There eyes are sad; so very sad,

aging each child in misery.

2

Innocents born, only to die,

From parents who should never be,

Or from donors of blood, filled with their mud,

and mind altering drugs chemically.

3

Look upon them, my people of sin.

How great infinity!

Their gaze now drifts beyond the clouds,

They look but do not see.

4

Nay! Cease from dying, little child,

join not the living dead.

The money was good, I must admit.

\What fool doth make me dread!

5

What fool doth make me dread, ask I?

Break chains Society!

Their eyes are sad, so very sad.

Can all hearts ever see?


Intermission time for you to check out art if desiring a break.
Following are poems of love inspired by sensitivity within one's heart.







Composed following day at Army Long Branch NJ Beach.


Rosann

1

Water coolly flowing, dreams undo despair,

Ecstasy unbending; sunlight in your hair;

'twas then I felt love, but for a moment or two.

To meet now and depart; or, not to meet a' tall.

Eternally dream on, escaping not my view.

The tides shall ebb and rise; washing the sands.

Sweet longing in your eyes, soft tender hands, Rosann.




Composed after meeting and sketching a young lady from Hoboken, NJ



Elizabeth
1
The dream of life I never knew,
this dream of life I see in you.
The wishing wanting to be near,
A tempest blows away my dear.
2
Oh kiss me my darling, oh kiss me not,
Oh kiss me my darling while the sun shines hot,
and the moon shines through, and the skies not blue,
and all is in a whirl, save my love for you.
3
Elizabeth, and then I think shall I endure,
The cold without your love so pure,
Elizabeth with eyes so true,
and all is in a whirl, save my love for you.



Composed while sunbathing in back garden, Old Bridge, NJ.

Starry Eyed

1

To see the Sun, our star in splendor,

Do not detract from this,

As planet Earth each day surrender,

To its tender warming kiss.

2

The planets move around our star,

Without which none would be,

They gently swirl both near and far,

In God's great harmony.

3

Yes! The colors that we see,

The silvery moonlight,

the flowers, trees and swallows

and all that's gay and bright.

4

Even the darkness of night shadows

Without which none would be.

For through stars God clothed our 'spirit',

before an eye could see.

5

I think this as I gaze inspired,

Upon life's magic dream,

At sparrows playing still untiring,

Conversing so it seems.

6

While trees are stretching to the sky,

Conducting tenderly,

With leafy arms that reach so high,

Natures own sweet symphony.

7

Yes! The noises that we hear,

The rippling of a brook,

The thunder, hail and fire,

And sounds we overlook

8

All mortals do require,

A star just here to be

For through stars God formed all life,

Creating you and me.



Bay Head

Composed while sketching around Bay Head at the Jersey Shore.



1

My darling, recalling that night,

God gave to you and me,

When stars gently glittered above,

To cherish forever this wondrous memory,

Dreaming of you and our love.

2

Think of me, love me,

Oh! How my heart does cry.

Think of me, love me,

'tis not to reason why.

3

Remembering the sound of a swirling sea,

And our hearts beating both so rapidly,

joining in time this endless song,

the water our hearts dancing along.

4

"How beautiful"!

You, Dorothea, said those words: "How beautiful",

All the while to me your beauty complimented the stars;

their magic twinkling;

the surf, its thunderous roar;

the moon, its soft reflection;

the sand, its cool smoothness.

5

Then, too, it was, my angel,

Natures God claimed one of your earrings,

as a tribute.

Gladly you paid this bounty offering the other,

As a token to prove our love'

6

Yes, the sea heard; the stars heard;

the moon heard and the sand heard,

our lips touching; our hearts beating,

as one, one, one!

7

What more can I think about?

What more can my pen sing about?

Except you, you, you.

8

This is the time that I dream about,

These are the words that my heart does shout,

That was the night that our love was born,

A strange March night that seen no dawn.










No comments:

Post a Comment